Author Topic: SKILL TREE PUBLIC TEST SESSION  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Sean "Crashingmail" Yoshioka

• Administrator
  • Senior Master Chief Petty Officer
  • Medal of Activity 1st Class
  • Doragon o tataemasu
    • View Profile
    • 36th Dieron Regulars - Kurita Linienregiment
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tsuneni Yotogi Orden
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
SKILL TREE PUBLIC TEST SESSION
« on: 09. February 2017, 07:36:53 »
Greetings MechWarriors,

Welcome to the much-anticipated Public Test Session for the upcoming revamp of the Skill Tree system!
The Skill Tree has been redesigned from the ground up, and before its planned release in the February 21st patch we want you to check it out and let us know what you think.

This post contains all the information you'll need to get up to speed on the new Skill Tree, but we encourage everyone to join this Public Test Session and give us your feedback in the PTS Discussion Forum.
If you're looking for information regarding the refund process for experience and Module purchases made under the previous Skill system, you can check out the FAQ at the end of this post for details.

There's a lot to cover here, so let's get right into it.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/02/1714-skill-tree-public-test-session
Doragon o tataemasu

SMCPO Crashingmail  |  Web: www.36thdieron.de  |  Facebook: 36th Dieron Regulars DCMS
MedalsMembership - 4 Years Gunner - Legend Vanquisher of Armies David vs Goliath - Silver Ehrenschuss - Silver Goliath vs David - Gold Sharpshooter - 3rd Class Supporter - Gold Brawler - Veteran Marksman - Elite Tsunami Scout - Veteran Der Quotentote I can has killz Last man standing Purple Heart Killer Commando - Elite Lance 

Offline Takehiko "Suldanessala" Takeda

• Staff Member
  • Tai-i (Captain)
  • Medal of Activity 2nd Class
  • Samurai aller Klassen März 2017
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tsuneni Yotogi Orden
    • MWO Tournament Series (Beta)
    • MWO World Championships 2016
    • Tukayyid 1
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Inner Sphere Wars Season 2
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
Re: SKILL TREE PUBLIC TEST SESSION
« Reply #1 on: 09. February 2017, 08:03:13 »
Already done downloading at home. Will look into it this evening. Honestly I don't like their concept, but I will give it a try.

Edit:
The whole system is a strike against the less active/non premium players that normally switch their modules from Mech A to Mech B. Now you need 9.100.000 C-Bills and 136.500 XP to master any mech. Before is was 0 C-Bills and 57.250 XP. So I need to play most of my mechs and waste almost 3 Billions of C-Bills to master them.
« Last Edit: 09. February 2017, 14:47:33 by Takehiko "Suldanessala" Takeda »
MedalsMembership - 3 Years Gunner - Yellow Bird Legend of Battlefields Ehrenschuss - Platin Sharpshooter - 1st Class Supporter - Platin Brawler - Legend Marksman - Elite LRM Boot - Veteran Tsunami Scout - Legend Der Quotentote Eye of the Grand Dragon Kamikaze Last man standing Purple Heart Focus Fire - Elite Lance Killer Commando - Legendary Lance LOTM - Bronze Lord of War Recon by Force 

Online Aeryo

• Sho-ko (Sergeant Major)
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Outpost Kampagne
« Reply #2 on: 09. February 2017, 09:03:04 »
True that Sulda

To add to that there will be even less costumized loadouts because of the respecc costs.
They have to bring in some way of bypassing this in my opinion e.g. have 3 variants of the same type  :denk: :gaga:
« Last Edit: 09. February 2017, 09:45:25 by Aeryo »
MedalsMembership - 2 Years Recon by Force 

Offline Hatake "Storyteller" Matsumura

• Regimental Commander
  • Tai-sa (Colonel)
  • Legendary Poster
  • Shikata ga nai.
    • View Profile
    • Storytellers Mechwerkstatt
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • 3025 Season 1 - Solaris VII - 3025 Classic Tournament
    • 3025 Season 2 - 3025 Stockmech Tourney
    • Inner Sphere Wars Season 1
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #3 on: 09. February 2017, 10:28:36 »
That's not quite correct. Modules are very costly too: 3-6 Million Credits per module. You can switch from mech to mech without further costs at the moment, that's true. But if you have at least two different dropdecks for invasion faction play plus one or two scout mechs, you have to pay about 160 million credits only for modules for those ten mechs as well:

4 modules per mech (without consumables)
4 million credits per module in average
=16 million credits per mech
=160 million credits for 10 fully equipped mechs

If you don't want to switch modules all the time, you need a lot more for your PUG play mechs.

From the point of view of a new MWO player
At the moment it is like this: Even those modules for your first mech are hard to achieve and I think many people can not afford them in the first place.
Like I said before, I started my clan account 1,5 months ago and it is still a pain to get my third Shadowcat.
So buying three mechs and at least one set of modules for one of those mechs costs you at the given example roundabout 46 million credits:
3x 10 million credits for the Shadowcats + 16 millions for 4 modules.

If you don't have to buy three mechs anymore to max out your favorite variant, you will of course spare a lot of money for not buying obsolete or least favorite variants of your chassis.
So you will need about 10 million credits for your one mech plus 9.1 millions for maxing the skill tree.
Of course, if you want a second mech of that kind, you will need 38 millions, but that's still less than 46 million for three.

With the system as we know it until today:
Even if you sell one of your mechs, you will have spend more money. You sell one of the Shadowcats and get a refund of only 50%. So you would have spend 41 million credits total ending up having two mechs plus one set of four modules, who aren't necesseraly 100% fitting for both setups.

Summary:
Yes, equipping dozens or even hundreds of already existing mechs will be much more expensive than before. At least when you want all of them maxed out.
But in terms of new players the new system will be an advantage because buying, equipping and maxing a couple of mechs will be cheaper than before.
And for all the veterans, if you use, let's say, 30 mechs on a regular base, I thinks costs will be okay, compared to the refund we will get for all the already bought modules.
« Last Edit: 09. February 2017, 10:36:44 by Hatake "Storyteller" Matsumura »
MedalsMembership - 20 Years Gunner - Legend Vanquisher of Armies David vs Goliath - Silver Goliath vs David - Bronze Supporter - Platin Brawler - Master Marksman - Elite Tsunami Scout - Master Eye of the Dragon I can has killz Purple Heart Focus Fire - Elite Lance Killer Commando - Elite Lance 

• Administrator
  • Doragon o tataemasu
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tsuneni Yotogi Orden
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #4 on: 09. February 2017, 10:30:53 »
Sulda, don't forget you needed three Mechs to master one, so you need to play and get 3x57.250 XP.
With the new concept you can master each mech without having to buy three of a kind.

I think this would be much better then right now.
On the other hand, the layout is something i don't like, looks a bit too much for me on the screenshots, but we will see how it looks like in the client.
Doragon o tataemasu

SMCPO Crashingmail  |  Web: www.36thdieron.de  |  Facebook: 36th Dieron Regulars DCMS
MedalsMembership - 4 Years Gunner - Legend Vanquisher of Armies David vs Goliath - Silver Ehrenschuss - Silver Goliath vs David - Gold Sharpshooter - 3rd Class Supporter - Gold Brawler - Veteran Marksman - Elite Tsunami Scout - Veteran Der Quotentote I can has killz Last man standing Purple Heart Killer Commando - Elite Lance 

Offline Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

• Staff Member
  • Chu-i (Lieutenant)
  • Medal of Activity 3rd Class
  • Kitsune
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #5 on: 09. February 2017, 11:01:18 »
Honestly the system is a big mistake for PGI as it promotes 2 things:
Less mechs
Boating

I am honestly considering (if the system stays like this) to sell 2/3rds of my mechs and only keep my favourite 1 or 2 models per mech type and only run "boats" or meta builds on those.
So the question of "which Warhammer" will I take today will become obsolete, as I am unable to share modules and XP.
Having 2 mechs of the same model even becomes idiotic now, for example 2 Griffins 2N (one SRM4 build for Scouting and one SRM6 build for PUG) is total bullcrap now.

I just feel stupid having so many mechbays now.

Also buying MechPacks or Mastery Bundles now makes zero sense. The best thing you can do is wait for the best model of each line to become available for C-Bills (or MC if Hero) and only buy that one chassis and never invest in any more mechs of that type.

So this promotes less mechs in a big way.

Less mechs = Less MC/real money spent on mechs
Less mechs = Less MC spend on pixel crap (Horns, Camo,...)

So overall I am actually not that bothered for my own playstyle, as I have enough mechs even after I would clean house, but for players building up this could be a huge reverse kick to PGI salery.
Hoshi "Terry" Toranaga

MedalsGunner - Nemesis Vanquisher of Armies Ehrenschuss - Silver Ehrenschuss - Silver Supporter - Platin Brawler - Master Marksman - Elite Tsunami Scout - Veteran Eye of the Dragon I can has killz Last man standing Purple Heart Focus Fire - Elite Lance Killer Commando - Elite Lance Recon by Force 

• Regimental Commander
  • Tai-sa (Colonel)
  • Legendary Poster
  • Shikata ga nai.
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #6 on: 09. February 2017, 11:13:38 »
I don't think PGI will move on with this "Buy 3 mechs" bundles, because it doesn't makes sense anymore. In many cases it hadn't made sense at all!

For example the archer:
I own four variants of it and I am playing just one, the Tempest. The other three are rotting in my mechlab.

Of course because of the hardpoints sometimes different variants of the same chassis are cool, like the Catapult-K and Catapult-C1.

But boating is no knew thing in MWO, we do it all the time and for years now.
I cannot image how this can be even more extreme than it is today.
Only because you don't have to buy two silly variants you don't want to play?
Like I said, most chassis I only use a single variant.
« Last Edit: 09. February 2017, 11:36:21 by Hatake "Storyteller" Matsumura »
MedalsMembership - 20 Years Gunner - Legend Vanquisher of Armies David vs Goliath - Silver Goliath vs David - Bronze Supporter - Platin Brawler - Master Marksman - Elite Tsunami Scout - Master Eye of the Dragon I can has killz Purple Heart Focus Fire - Elite Lance Killer Commando - Elite Lance 

• Staff Member
  • Tai-i (Captain)
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tsuneni Yotogi Orden
    • Tukayyid 1
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #7 on: 09. February 2017, 11:29:22 »
Sulda, don't forget you needed three Mechs to master one, so you need to play and get 3x57.250 XP.
Not quite true. Unless you have no other mastered e.g. Heavy you need:

LevelNormal Case1st Mech in Weight Class
Basics3x 14.2503x 14.250
Elite1x 21.5003x 21.500
Master1x 21.5001x 21.500
Sum85.750128.750

In the official forums one stated that you will need around 51 Skill Points to get the bonuses of the old Mastery stats. So you roughly need 5 Million CB-Bills just to get your Mech to the point where it is now. Having 300+ Mechs is painful. So much clicking.. so much thinking about where and when to click. It will take me days to refit my mechs *sadface*

The system sure has his bright spots for new players, but the layout/design would be something to make me quit the game.
MedalsMembership - 3 Years Gunner - Yellow Bird Legend of Battlefields Ehrenschuss - Platin Sharpshooter - 1st Class Supporter - Platin Brawler - Legend Marksman - Elite LRM Boot - Veteran Tsunami Scout - Legend Der Quotentote Eye of the Grand Dragon Kamikaze Last man standing Purple Heart Focus Fire - Elite Lance Killer Commando - Legendary Lance LOTM - Bronze Lord of War Recon by Force 

• Regimental Commander
  • Tai-sa (Colonel)
  • Legendary Poster
  • Shikata ga nai.
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #8 on: 09. February 2017, 11:39:16 »
The system sure has his bright spots for new players, but the layout/design would be something to make me quit the game.

That's definitly true. The UI layout is ... daunting?

Offline Fronto

• View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
« Reply #9 on: 09. February 2017, 12:02:51 »
It´s inelegant and bloated with al lot of boring s... stuff.

Nothing to drag a new player in who doesnt know what "Skeletal Density +3%" or "Armor Hardening +3%" in this game even means.

But it is a PTS for a reason so give Feedback and PGI will improve on this system (hopefully).

I stole this from reddit but i think it is fitting:

MedalsMembership - 4 Years David vs Goliath - Bronze Ehrenschuss - Bronze Goliath vs David - Bronze Supporter - Platin Brawler - Master Marksman - Elite Der Quotentote Eye of the Grand Dragon I can has killz Last man standing 

• Regimental Commander
  • Tai-sa (Colonel)
  • Legendary Poster
  • Shikata ga nai.
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #10 on: 09. February 2017, 13:52:22 »
Yeah, you have to decide if it's -10% fall damage or -10% fall damage. ;-)

Offline Hachirou "Phidias86" Girisha

• View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
« Reply #11 on: 09. February 2017, 14:16:25 »
 :shock:
« Last Edit: 09. February 2017, 15:20:58 by Hachirou "Phidias86" Girisha »
MedalsMembership - 1 Year Gunner - Legend Vanquisher of Armies David vs Goliath - Bronze Ehrenschuss - Platin Supporter - Gold Brawler - Veteran Marksman - Elite Tsunami Scout - Veteran Der Quotentote Eye of the Grand Dragon I can has killz Purple Heart Focus Fire - Elite Lance Killer Commando - Elite Lance Recon by Force 

• Administrator
  • Doragon o tataemasu
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tsuneni Yotogi Orden
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #12 on: 09. February 2017, 14:46:26 »
I would say that you can gain up to -50% fall damage by selecting all of these points.
I would say this is a waste of points. :denk:
Doragon o tataemasu

• Staff Member
  • Tai-i (Captain)
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tsuneni Yotogi Orden
    • Tukayyid 1
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #13 on: 09. February 2017, 14:49:38 »
I made an edit in my 1st post for the XP you need to get all 91 Skillpoints. It's 136.500 instead of 91.000...

• Regimental Commander
  • Tai-sa (Colonel)
  • Legendary Poster
  • Shikata ga nai.
    • View Profile
  • CMS Profile Link
    • Tukayyid 2
    • Tukayyid 3
    • Outpost Kampagne
    • Steiner vs. Kurita
    • Chaptertreffen 2013
    • Chaptertreffen 2014
    • Chaptertreffen 2015
    • Chaptertreffen 2016
    • Chaptertreffen 2017
« Reply #14 on: 09. February 2017, 15:04:17 »
I think that's what I have writtin in one of my initial postings to this topics:

There more choices you have in skill trees, the things can go wrong.
I remember the lead designs of DICE (Battlefield, Battlefront, FROST engine etc.) telling me, when I was at their HQ in Stockholm, that developers are always gettings surprised about what players are goingt to do with their game. So expect some superduper cookie cutter builds.